Friday, August 5, 2011

comcast man.

On Tuesday, Hermana Dodge and I were trying to find a potential investigator whose name we had found in our area book.
She lives on a super busy street with only one lane going each direction. Her house sits back a little off the road and the driveway is really long, but there was no way to turn around at the end because it was blocked by a large Comcast van. So as we got out of the car, we thought,
"Wow, this is going to be fun to back out of..."
We walked up to the door and we had trouble opening the gate and while we were trying to figure it out, the woman who we were looking for came out to help us and she invited us inside because it was so hot.
She told us she was a little busy with the Comcast man fixing whatever it was that he was fixing and that she'd be back in a minute. After five minutes of waiting, she came back into the room and she just still seemed really frazzled, so we asked her if there was another time we could come back that would be better and we set up an appointment for Thursday.
As we were leaving the Comcast man followed us out and commented us on our Spanish. He was really nice. But also really busy.
As we walked to the end of the long driveway, we contemplated how to best get out. We were trying to back up the car and it just wasn't working out so well so we stopped to reevaluate, and the Comcast man grabbed the two traffic cones in front of his van and started walking towards us. Hermana Dodge and I just looked at him really confused-like and as he walked past he said,
"It'll be easier this way."
I thought he was just going to put the cones at the end of the driveway so no one else would have the same problem that we were having. But then he said,
"There you go. Go ahead."
And as I turned around, he was throwing the traffic cones in the middle of the street and stopping traffic for us so we could back out of the driveway.
Then he proceded to back up our car.

It was the best ever.
And Comcast man [whose name we were never able to get] totally made our day.

So lately, I've been thinking about how I can be more bold and just not have fear to tell people about what means so much to me---namely, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. And after this experience of seeing how awesome it was to have someone do something so randomly nice for us I realized that that's how I can overcome my fear. I need to stop traffic. Because what I believe means so much to me and because it can mean that much for so many other people as well. Other people who have never had the opportunity to hear about what I have. And I can give it to them.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not going to run out in front of a moving car or jump up and down on the sidewalk telling people that I have the truth. But I am going to stop the traffic of the daily lives of the people that I talk to so they can stop running at the pace of the world and slow down and take some time with the things that can and will really make them happy.
And really, that's something we all can do. If you believe in something that means a lot to you, help people slow down and see it. Help them get out of the norm of their daily lives and see a bigger picture. Help the world's ideas grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment